The Apple Watch Series 1 is one of the very old models of the Apple smartwatch, and one might wonder if it is still compatible with some of the newer models of iPhones, such as the iPhone 13. The short answer is no; the Apple Watch Series 1 is not officially compatible with the iPhone 13.
However, there are a few ways to get around this issue. In this article, I will be answering some of the most frequently asked questions about the Apple Watch Series 1 and its compatibility with the iPhone 13.
Also, I will be discussing how you can get your Apple Watch Series 1 to work with the iPhone 13, although not guaranteed to be perfect. Before I get into details, let me start with an overview of the Apple Watch Series 1.
- Is the Apple Watch Series 1 compatible with the iPhone 13?
- What Apple Watch do I need for the iPhone 13?
- How to pair a new iPhone 13 with an Apple watch?
- How to Pair an Apple Watch Series 1 with an iPhone 13 Mobile Phone
- What are the Apple Watches that are most Recommended?
- Can you Charge an Apple Watch with an iPhone 13?
- Image Gallery – Is the Apple Watch Series 1 Compatible with the iPhone 13?
Related Post: Can you Connect Apple Watch Series 3 to iPhone 13?
The Apple Watch Series 1 smartwatch was released in 2016. It is the second generation of Apple Watches that features an aluminium body and is available in colours such as black, blue, grey, white, rose gold, and space grey.
This watch has several amazing features, including a heart rate sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, ambient light sensor, 8GB storage capacity, composite back, and splash resistance. Additionally, the built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts up to 18 hours on a single charge.
The Apple iPhone 13 was released in 2021 and is available in colours such as starlight, midnight, blue, pink, and (product) red. This iPhone has several distinct features, including a 3240mAh battery, Apple A15 Bionic chip, photographic style, brighter display, cinematic mode, Smart HDR 4, and Sensor-Shift Stabilization. Additionally, the iPhone 13’s battery lasts up to 10 hours and 33 minutes on a single charge.
Using an Apple Watch alongside your iPhone can be extremely beneficial. For example, you can use the watch to check the time, get quick access to notifications, track your fitness, respond to messages and calls, find your missing iPhone, remote control the camera, and listen to music offline. However, it is important to note that not all Apple Watches are compatible with all iPhones.
The best way to determine if your Apple Watch Series 1 is compatible with your iPhone is to check the Series 1 Wach iOS compatibility list on the Apple website.
Is the Apple Watch Series 1 compatible with the iPhone 13?
No, the Apple Watch Series 1 is not compatible with the iPhone 13 because the iPhone 13 is running the IOS 15 operating system, and the Apple Series 1 watch is only compatible with IOS 13 and below.
However, you might be able to get the series 1 watch to work with IOS 13 outside the normal compatibility range, which is more challenging. To achieve this, you will need to follow the steps discussed on this Apple developer’s forum.
Although, using the Apple Watch Series 1 with an iPhone 13 may not offer the best experience due to the Series 1’s lack of features or limitations compared to later models.
What Apple Watch do I need for the iPhone 13?
Since the iPhone 13 runs on iOS 15.0, the Apple watches that can work with this phone are all Apple watches that are compatible with iPhone 5 and above. Therefore, depending on your preferred budget and preferred features, any of the below listed Apple watches can work with the iPhone 13; these watches are:
Apple Watch Series 3
Apple Watch Series 4
Apple Watch Series 5
Apple Watch SE
Apple Watch Series 6
Apple Watch Series 7.
How to pair a new iPhone 13 with an Apple watch?
Pairing a new iPhone 13 with the Apple watch is an easy process, and if your Apple Watch is still paired with your old iPhone, all you need to do is take the following steps:
- Erase your Apple Watch by going to General > Reset, tap Erase All Content and Settings, then enter your passcode
- Set up your new iPhone 13 and sign in to iCloud. If you have already set up and signed in, skip to the next step
- Open the Apple Watch app on your new iPhone, and pair your watch with your new iPhone 13
- Try to restore from a backup: ensure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are up to date; if they are not, you might not see your backup in the list. This means that you will lose all activities, workouts, or settings on your watch that changed between the last backup and now.
If you use iCloud in iOS 11 and later, data from Health and Activity is stored in iCloud and automatically updated on devices where you are signed in with the same Apple ID
- If you are asked to restore from a watch backup, select the most recent backup.
- In case you do not have a backup, you need to set up your Apple Watch as new.
- To complete the setup process, follow the steps on the screen
- You can start using your Apple Watch with your new iPhone 13, although your iCloud data might take a few days to appear.
How to Pair an Apple Watch Series 1 with an iPhone 13 Mobile Phone
To pair your Apple Watch Series 1 smartwatch with an iPhone 13 mobile phone, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Make sure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are both powered on and that your iPhone is connected to a 2.4 GHz wireless network. If you’re not sure how to do this, you can check the iPhone’s settings menu.
- On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app.
- Tap the “My Watch” tab, then tap “Pair New Watch.”
- Follow the instructions that appear on your iPhone’s screen. When prompted, hold your Apple Watch close to your iPhone.
- Once the pairing process is complete, you’ll see a confirmation message on your iPhone’s screen.
That’s all you need to do! Once your Apple Watch and iPhone are paired, you can start using all of the watch’s features.
NOTE: Please bear in mind that there is no guarantee that your Series 1 watch will be able to pair successfully with an iPhone 13 mobile phone, as compatibility issues can sometimes arise. However, following the steps above should give you the best chance of pairing your devices successfully.
What are the Apple Watches that are most Recommended?
While all Apple Watches have nice and quite similar features, some of them have more distinct features than others.
Some of the best Apple watches available on the market today are the Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch Series 4, Apple Watch Series 7, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple Watch SE, etc.
Amongst all these smartwatches, the Apple Watch Series 7 is considered to be the best Apple Watch and, as a result, the most recommended.
Although the Apple Watch Series 7 is quite similar to the Apple Watch Series 6, it comes packed with impressive features and some significant upgrades that make it stand out from other Apple watches.
Some of the best features of the Apple Watch Series 7 are:
- Colour options: This watch has colour variants like starlight, midnight, product (red), green, and blue
- It is available in three different materials, namely: titanium, stainless steel, and aluminium
- The size options are 41mm and 45mm
- Larger display: The display of this watch enhances the viewing experience
- Bigger screen
- Always-On retina display
- This watch is durable with IP6X certification for dust resistance, swim-proof with WR50 water resistance, and crack-resistant with a redesigned front crystal.
- Fast charging: In just 45 minutes, this watch can charge from 0-80 per cent using the updated charging architecture – Magnetic Fast Charger USB-C cable
- On a single full charge, the Apple Watch Series 7 can last for up to 18 hours.
- Apple Fitness+: With this feature, you can practice mindfulness anywhere, anytime, with guided meditation, thanks to the new body-conditioning workout type with Pilates
- Watch OS 8, which has additional watch faces and allows you to customise your watch for a personalised experience.
- Health and fitness features such as a heart-rate sensor to regularly monitor your pulse, an advanced sensor to measure your blood oxygen levels,
- It keeps you connected: With just a tap, you can text, make calls, and listen to music without your phone.
- Cycling, workouts, and fall detection updates
Can you Charge an Apple Watch with an iPhone 13?
Yes, you can charge an Apple Watch with an iPhone 13 smartphone simultaneously using the MagSafe Duo Charger developed by Apple. The MagSafe Duo Charger is part of the new MagSafe ecosystem that uses magnets to snap your devices into place for a quick and secure charge.
There is no guarantee that your Apple Watch Series 1 will work with the iPhone 13 as the Watch 1 is currently not compatible with iOS 15, which is the operating system that the iPhone 13 will be running on. However, if you are willing to take the risk, there is a chance that it could work. At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to take the risk.
On the other hand, I would recommend that you upgrade to any of the newer models of the Apple Watches discussed in this article, as they are guaranteed to be compatible with your iPhone 13 smartphone.
Image Gallery – Is the Apple Watch Series 1 Compatible with the iPhone 13?
References: Apple Watch, Apple developer forum.