The Bose portable smart speaker is versatile wireless and voice-controlled speaker with amazing audio sound quality. Weighing 1kg, this speaker is lightweight, and it also has a carrying handle for convenience.
Setting up this speaker is extremely easy because it has a companion app (Bose Music app) that gives you step-by-step instructions on how to set up and have complete control of your speaker. This app can be downloaded on iOS and Android devices.
This smart speaker by Bose presents a 360-degree sound design that distributes clear sound in every direction of a spacious setting simultaneously, which guarantees an immersive listening experience.
When WiFi is available, this speaker functions as an Alexa or Google Assistant speaker to respond to your questions, control your smart home, and also control your music using voice with or without a Wi-Fi connection.
- Unboxing: Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review
- Build quality: Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review
- Sound Quality
- Battery Life
- Price: Bose Portable Smart Speaker
- Buyer’s Guide
- Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review: Verdict
- Final Thought
- Bose Portable Smart Speaker: FAQs
- Product Image Gallery – Bose Portable Smart Speaker review
Unboxing: Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review
Asides from the Bose portable smart speaker, the box contains a power cord, an AC power adapter, a quick start guide, and an owner’s guide.
Available in triple black or luxe silver, the Bose portable smart speaker comes in a cool cylindrical-shaped glossy design. It weighs 1kg and comes with an adjustable firm carrying handle that can go to the back and front, which makes it easy to carry around.
At the top of the speaker, there is a flat rubber surface that contains the music control buttons, which enables you to skip through tracks by pressing the volume up and down buttons twice, so you don’t have to use your phone each time.
This speaker has a sturdy look with a base body wrapped with an aluminium grille. There is a light that comes on, indicating the voice assistant in use, as well as the volume and battery level.
Although this speaker cannot be submerged in water, you do not have to worry about damages caused by splashes and rain drizzles, thanks to its IPX4 rating, which makes it resistant to moisture and water.
Build quality: Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review
The Bose portable smart speaker is well built and has a sturdy look. The top of the speaker, made of silicone and plastic, gives a mild feel, while the base of the speaker is covered with an aluminium grille. The speaker’s body is held by a rubber ring that gives it a firm look.
It is lightweight and comes with a carrying handle that allows you to carry it around conveniently.
Some of the features of the Bose portable smart speaker include;
- 360 sound quality: The 360-degree sound is one of the best features of the Bose portable smart speaker. It provides listeners with an immersive sound experience as it circulates audio equally in all corners of the room regardless of your position
- Google Assistant support: It comes with an Alexa or Google assistant speaker. You can get answers to your every question using the Bose portable smart speaker and also control your music using your voice.
- Battery Life: This speaker comes with incredible battery performance. It is expected to last for up to twelve hours; however, this varies on usage frequency. There are some power-saving features that can make the battery last longer
- Portability: This Bluetooth comes with an adjustable carrying handle for support, which makes it easy to take anywhere
- Connectivity options with:
- Bluetooth: This speaker’s Bluetooth connectivity is amazing. The Bose portable smart speaker’s low latency with iOS and Android devices makes it perfect for watching videos. Note that it pairs with one device at a time
- Wi-Fi: This speaker is Wi-fi compatible and supports Apple Airplay
- IPX4 rating: This water resistance rating protects the speaker from splash and rain drizzles
- Bose music app: The Bose music app for iOS and Android devices gives you quick access to the latest music and helps you play music on your own terms
The Bose portable smart speaker is designed with a 360-degree sound that evenly distributes sound in all directions simultaneously. This speaker offers fantastic audio quality with sound clarity, impressive bass, clear lyrics, and a balanced mid-range for vocals and instruments. This speaker’s soundstage is outstanding.
The Bose portable smart speaker offers outstanding performance. Within the WiFi range, you can control this speaker with your voice and use it as an Alexa or Google Assistant speaker to play integrated music services, such as Spotify, Pandora, and Amazon Music. It also functions excellently out of the WiFi range using Bluetooth.
From the Bose music app, you can get fast access to the latest music and play on your own terms, while its 360 sound degree design helps to circulate audio equally in every corner.
All the features of this speaker combined produce a powerful audio quality and overall excellent performance.
With an estimated playtime of 12 hours, the battery life of the Bose portable smart speaker is considered to be quite impressive. If your volume level is high, the battery will drain faster, and as such, it is better to maintain a minimum play level to make your battery last longer.
The buttons of this speaker are situated on top; the buttons include the power button, volume adjustment buttons, and a play/pause button to skip a track by pressing twice or thrice to go back to the previous track. It also has a voice activation button and a mute mic button to stop it from listening to you.
To deactivate its Wi-Fi connection, hold the play/pause button and the Bluetooth button at the same time for 5 seconds.
To deactivate the Bluetooth connection, hold the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds.
When using Alexa, you can directly call other Bose smart products or Amazon Echo products.
The Bose portable smart speaker is a home speaker that is compatible with other Bose smart speakers and sound bars for an immersive listening experience. It supports Apple airplay and synchronises a member of a Bose family with a Bose Bluetooth or sound touch speaker for maximum music playback.
Price: Bose Portable Smart Speaker
This Bluetooth speaker costs $399.99
- Weight: 1.1kg ( 2.34pounds)
- Dimensions: 4.09 x 4.69 x 7.56 inches
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- For smartphones and Tablet uses
- Connectivity technology is Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- The Bluetooth version is 4.2
- Bluetooth range is up to 30 ft ( 9m)
- Speaker Type is Multi-Room and soundbar
- Power input:
- USB-C port or charging cradle contacts in the base
- Compatible with accessory charging cradle sold separately
- IPX4 rating water-resistant design
- It has a 360-degree sound for even distribution of sound
- Alexa and Google assistant options
- It is lightweight and comes along with a carrying handle which makes carrying it around convenient.
- Bose music app
- It has an IPX4 rating, water resistant for splash and light rain
- It has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity
- It is easy to set up
- Provides powerful sound
- Streaming services selection is limited
- Full Access to smart features is region dependent
- Average battery life
- Lacks deep bass at a high volume level
While the Bose portable smart speaker has loads of great features, there are also some important factors to consider before buying this speaker.
The Bose portable smart speaker lacks deep bass at a high volume level and has a limit on streaming services. If this is a dealbreaker for you, then you might want to consider the Sonos Move speaker, as it has a high bass at high & low levels, plus unlimited music streaming services.
This Bluetooth speaker is not exactly budget-friendly, so if you are looking for a less pricey speaker, some of the affordable speakers you can go for are; JBL Go 3, JBL Clip 2, Anker Soundcore 3, Tribit StormBox Micro, JBL Clip plus, etc.
Alternatives to Bose Portable Smart Speaker
- Echo Dot with Clock (4th generation)
- Sonos Roam Portable Smart Speaker.
Best Alternative Portable Bluetooth Speakers
- Sonos Move
- UE Boom 3 (Ultimate Ears )
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A1 (B&O)
- Bose SoundLink Revolve (Series II) Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Link 20
- Anker SoundCore 2.
Bose Portable Smart Speaker Review: Verdict
This portable smart speaker by Bose provides users with a powerful sound, with its 360 sound degree design evenly circulating audio to every angle. Its lightweight guarantees you portability, with a carrying handle for support.
This home speaker delivers Alexa and Google Assistant voice control with wireless audio and has lots of other features that offer great value for its price.
I’m sure music lovers, in particular, will enjoy the listening experience that the Bose portable smart speaker provides, especially the 360 sound degree design that distributes audio evenly in every corner of the home.
Its study look, sound clarity, Bose music app, and voice assistant capabilities, alongside other amazing features, make the Bose portable smart speaker a versatile speaker.
Overall, the Bose portable smart speaker is a great choice for anyone looking for a versatile and portable speaker with amazing sound quality. It is easy to set up and use, and its companion app makes it even easier to control your speaker. With its IPX4 rating, you don’t have to worry about damage from water and moisture.
Bose Portable Smart Speaker: FAQs
Q: Where can I find the Bose music app?
A: The Bose Music app can be found in the application store of your smartphone (on the Apple app store or Google play store).
Q: Does the Bose portable speaker work without Wi-Fi?
A: This speaker works as an outstanding Bluetooth speaker out of the WiFi range, so you can control this speaker with your smartphone or tablet and listen to your desired playlist.