In 2020, Apple released the iPhone 12 series, which includes the iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Even though the iPhone 13 and iPhone 14 have been released, the iPhone 12 is still a good option in the market because of its unique features.
From its sleek design to its advanced features, the iPhone 12 series has set a high bar for smartphones. Though newer models have been released, the iPhone 12 continues to hold its own in the market, proving to be a top choice for tech-savvy individuals.
The iPhone 12 is an economically-sound choice as it offers an impressive range of functions and features that won’t break the bank. Equipped with the latest iOS 14.1 operating system, which can be upgraded to the even more advanced iOS 16.3, and an Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm) chipset that ensures fast and efficient processing of tasks and instructions, the iPhone 12 series has something to offer for every budget. So, whether you opt for the basic model or a more advanced version, you can rest assured that the iPhone 12 won’t put a dent in your wallet.
- Unboxing the Apple iPhone 12 Smartphone
- Apple iPhone 12 Review: Design
- Apple iPhone 12 Review: Display
- Sound Quality
- Apple iPhone 12 Review: Performance
- Apple iPhone 12 Review: Battery Life
- Camera Specifications
- Buyer’s Guide
- FAQs – Apple iPhone 12 Review
- Image Gallery – Apple iPhone 12 Review
Related Post to Read: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max Review.
Unboxing the Apple iPhone 12 Smartphone
The packaging of the iPhone 12 is remarkably lightweight, which suggests that it may not have as many items included in the box compared to other smartphones. Here’s what you will find when you unbox the iPhone 12:
- An iPhone 12 smartphone of your preferred colour
- A USB-C to lightning cable. The USB-C to lightning cable supports fast charging and works perfectly with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports.
- Apple sticker.
Apple iPhone 12 Review: Design
The design of Apple iPhones is one of the reasons it is the most sought-after smartphone in the digital world, and the iPhone 12 is no exception to this trend. There is also a varying range of colours to choose from when making your orders or buying from a store, ranging from white, red, to purple.
The design can be assessed as lightweight. Like its predecessors, the iPhone 12 has a sleek, rectangular design with curved edges, which makes it more beautiful and makes people want to buy it. The design also combines a few materials to give it its stylish and A-grade look, as the smartphone is made of glass front (Corning-made glass), glass back (Corning-made glass), and aluminium frame (with matte finish) sandwiched between the front and the back (marked with the Apple logo).
The glass and aluminium combination used on the iPhone 12 increases its weight to 164g in favour of the user (5.78oz). It has a smaller battery and measures 146.7 mm x 71.5 mm x 7.4 mm (5.78 in x 2.81 in x 0.29 in), making it a perfect pocket-fit smartphone.
The iPhone 12 is equipped with the impressive IP68-rated water and dust-resistant feature, allowing it to withstand water immersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 6 meters. Exceeding the water depth and time limit will breach the resistance and cause damage to the phone.
This smartphone features a SIM slot that accepts Nano-SIM cards as well as an eSIM, both of which are safeguarded by the IP68 dust resistance feature. This protection is particularly important as dust accumulation in the SIM slot can result in damage that impairs its function.
Apple iPhone 12 Review: Display
The display of the iPhone 12 is a 6.1 inches, 90.2 cm2 (86.0% screen-to-body ratio) Super Retina XDR OLED display, which supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision. This intriguing display feature is protected by ceramic shield glass, which improves its screen’s display and touch functionality.
The iPhone 12 also boasts an 1170 x 2532 pixels screen resolution, a 19.5:9 screen ratio, and a 460ppi pixel density. This improves the visuals and graphics quality of video recordings and photo sessions.
With a screen brightness of 625 nits minimum, it can still be used under soft lighting conditions to achieve quality visuals while at 1200 nits peak brightness, the screen becomes easily adaptable to exposure (high light conditions).
The iPhone 12 is highly regarded for its exceptional audio quality for streaming videos or playing audio through its speakers. This is made possible by its stereo speakers, which are positioned at the top and bottom of the device. However, it’s worth noting that the iPhone 12 doesn’t have a 3.5 mm audio jack. Instead, its charging port doubles as the audio jack.
It exhibits very well-tuned tonal balance and good bass definition. The high quality of midrange frequencies adds a natural rendering of voices in the mix, while the overall quality of performance remains consistent even when recording in loud environments.
The iPhone 12 comes with three microphones which boost the quality of audio output you get from the device. The first microphone is located at the bottom of the phone beside the speaker grill (left side of the lightning charging port). The second microphone is embedded in the earpiece of the phone, while the third is built into the rear camera.
Apple iPhone 12 Review: Performance
Apple phones are renowned for their ability to efficiently process and perform tasks, and the inclusion of AI features such as Siri enhances the user experience by allowing for seamless interaction with the iPhone.
The iPhone 12’s impressive speed and performance can be attributed to its advanced iOS 14.1 operating system, which can be upgraded to the latest iOS 16.1 version. While the upgrade is a significant benefit, the iOS 14.1 still delivers exceptional performance.
Running on the Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm) chipset, the iOS 14.1 is complemented by the Apple GPU (4-core graphics) GPU, resulting in a stunning display performance that ensures that gaming experiences are truly immersive. The battery life of the iPhone 12 is impressive, ensuring extended use of its advanced features.
Apple iPhone 12 Review: Battery Life
The iPhone 12 boasts a non-removable Li-Po battery with a 2815mAh (10.78Wh) battery capacity, providing a decent battery life. The wired PD2.0 charging enables you to charge up to 50% in just 30 minutes, ensuring that you stay connected throughout the day.
You can enjoy up to 17 hours of video playback, up to 11 hours of streaming video playback, and up to 65 hours of audio playback with a single charge. Additionally, the iPhone 12 supports Qi (7.5W) and MagSafe (15W) wireless charging, providing more flexibility when it comes to charging your device.
Although it is not the best in terms of battery capacity, the iPhone 12’s battery life is fair and should provide ample usage time for most users.
Some of the best features of the Apple iPhone 12 include the following:
- Display features: HDR 10, Dolby Vision
- SIM slot: Yes (Nano-SIM and eSIM)
- Security: Face ID lock
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Ultra Wideband (UWB) support
- Camera (rear): 12MP wide (f/1.6) and 12MP (f/2.4) ultrawide cameras
- Camera (Front): Single 12MP wide (f/2.2) camera
- Camera Features: Dual LED dual-tone flash, and HDR
- Microphones and Loudspeaker
- Power button (on the right side of the phone)
- Volume buttons (on the left side of the phone)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Scratch-resistant (ceramic) glass
The iPhone 12 has the following specifications:
- Memory options include:
- 4 GB RAM + 64 GB internal memory
- 4 GB RAM + 128 GB internal memory
- 4 GB RAM + 256 GB internal memory
- No expandable memory
- Dimensions: 146.7 mm x 71.5 mm x 7.4 mm (5.78 in x 2.81in x 0.29 in)
- Weight: 164g (5.78oz)
- CPU: Hexa-core (2×3.1 GHz Firestorm + 4×1.8 GHz Ice storm)
- GPU: Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- OS: iOS 14.1 (upgradable to iOS 16.3)
- Colours available: Black, White, Red, Green, Blue, Purple
The Apple iPhone 12 smartphone has appealing camera qualities in front and at the rear.
- The rear camera has a dual-camera setup with the following:
- 12 MP (f/1.6, 26 mm, 1.4 µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS) wide camera
- 12 MP (f/2.4, 13 mm, 120˚, 1/3.6″) ultrawide camera
- The rear camera features a Dual LED dual-tone flash and HDR (photo/panorama).
- The front camera is a single 12MP (f/2.2, 23 mm, 1/3.6″) wide camera which has SL 3D (depth/biometrics sensor) and features HDR.
The overall material applied, dimensions and weight of the iPhone 12 make it very portable. Easy to hold, easy to carry, and easy to slide in and out of your bag, purse, or pocket.
Apple designs its devices to be fixed by experts, and the serviceability rating of the iPhone 14 is higher than that of the iPhone 12. This means that if you need to get your phone fixed, it is recommended that you seek the services of Apple or certified tech companies to avoid further damage during the repair process. For example, if the screen of the iPhone 12 is damaged, it may require the chassis to be replaced as well, which can increase the repair cost.
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- Positioning: GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Enabled
- Radio: No
- USB: Lightning, USB 2.0
The Apple iPhone 12 comes with preinstalled iOS 14.1 operating system, which runs on an Apple A14 Bionic (5 nm) chipset. This is as efficient as it can get with the speed of execution offered by the A14 processor.
The iOS operating system enables the iPhone 12 with some preinstalled software, which can also be called system apps. The App store is one of the preinstalled software which allows you to download apps for free or buy them into your iPhone.
The iPhone 12 also comes with the “Find My” app, which makes it easy to track your iPhone if it goes missing. It also comes with the Apple Pay app, which allows you to make orders and pay for them using a master card and other acceptable cards to make payments via the app.
- An attractive design with a sleek finish that gives it an elite look
- A stunning OLED screen that delivers an excellent visual experience
- Loud stereo speakers that enhance the audio experience
- Superb audio quality that produces clear and crisp sound
- An efficient chipset that ensures smooth and fast performance
- 5G support that allows for lightning-fast download and upload speeds
- Good photo quality both during the day and at night, thanks to the dual rear camera setup
- Apple iOS 14, which is upgradable to iOS 16.3, provides the latest software features
- MagSafe wireless charging makes it easy to charge your phone without having to deal with cables.
- No charger or headphones included in the box
- Battery life is shorter compared to the iPhone 11
- iOS could benefit from improved file management features
- FaceID does not work when wearing a mask
The Apple iPhone 12 is an impressive smartphone, but before making your purchase, it is essential to consider some factors:
- Camera: The iPhone 12 boasts a dual rear camera setup, including a 12MP (f/1.6) wide and a 12MP (f/2.4) ultrawide camera, providing high-quality day and night photography. The front camera is a 12MP (f/2.2) wide camera with a depth sensor, perfect for selfies.
- Display: With a 6.1 inch, 90.2 cm2 (86.0% screen-to-body ratio) Super Retina XDR OLED display and a screen resolution of 1170 x 2532 pixels, the iPhone 12 offers sharp and vibrant colour output for an excellent display experience.
- Battery Life: While the iPhone 12’s battery capacity of 2815mAh may not be the best, it still offers up to 17 hours of video playback, 11 hours of streaming video playback, and 65 hours of audio playback.
- Water/Dust Resistance: The iPhone 12 comes with an IP68-rated water resistance, which can withstand water depths of up to 6 meters for up to 30 minutes. However, it is important to note that exceeding the 6-meter water depth limit can cause damage to the phone.
- Storage: The iPhone 12 comes in various storage options, including 4 GB RAM + 64 GB internal memory, 4 GB RAM + 128 GB internal memory, and 4 GB RAM + 256 GB internal memory, giving buyers more options to choose from.
- Appealing Color Options: The iPhone 12 comes in an array of eye-catching colours, including black, white, red, green, and purple, allowing you to choose a colour that fits your style.
To ensure your iPhone 12 continues to perform optimally and maintain its overall health, it’s important to follow these guidelines:
- Avoid exposing your device to temperatures above 35 °C (95° F), as this can permanently damage the battery capacity.
- Remove any cases or accessories that may generate excess heat while charging your phone, which can also impact battery performance.
- If you plan to store your phone for an extended period of time, it is recommended to keep the battery at a level of around 50% to prevent any damage or degradation.
The cost of the Apple iPhone 12 is determined by the storage capacity. That is, the lower the storage capacity, the lower the price.
- 4 GB RAM + 64 GB internal memory costs $800
- 4 GB RAM + 128 GB internal memory costs $850
- 4 GB RAM + 256 GB internal memory costs $950
Available series of the Apple iPhone 12
The Apple iPhone 12 series includes four models:
- Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro
- Apple iPhone 12 Mini
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max
Alternatives to the Apple iPhone 12
- Apple iPhone XR
- Apple iPhone 13
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro
- Apple iPhone 11
- Apple iPhone 13 Mini
In conclusion, the Apple iPhone 12 is a remarkable smartphone that offers a great user experience with a variety of exciting features and specifications. From its stunning OLED display to its impressive camera capabilities and excellent performance, the iPhone 12 is a great investment for those looking for a high-end device.
FAQs – Apple iPhone 12 Review
Q: Is the iPhone 12 waterproof?
A: The iPhone 12 is water-resistant. It has a rating of “IP68”, which means that it is fully protected from dust and can handle being underwater for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 6 meters.
Q: Does iPhone 12 have a fingerprint?
A: No, the iPhone 12 does not have a Touch ID because it does not have a Home button.
Q: Does iPhone 12 have 5G?
A: iPhone 12 models or later work with the 5G cellular networks of certain carriers.
Image Gallery – Apple iPhone 12 Review