Smartwatches that can be used without a phone will put parents’ minds at ease, particularly those who do not want their teenagers having access to phones for one reason or the other.
With the help of a Smartwatch, parents can control the content their teenagers have access to as well as track their teenager’s location using GPS and SOS Emergency calls.
These Smartwatches that can be used without phones are usually the higher-end models that require micro-SIM to run. This means that the smartwatch can be used efficiently over a cellular network without the need to connect to a phone.
Smartwatches that run effectively independently of a smartphone are commonly referred to as “Standalone Smartwatches” because they have a built-in SIM card. These smartwatches have loads of features for users such as music playing, fitness tracking, calling, texting, voice commands amongst others.
As much as certain smartwatches are versatile and can function without a phone, they most often require a smartphone to add apps and be able to access other major features.
The major inconvenience however is that when connected to a cellular network, your smartwatch can stay charged for a maximum of 8 hours and to charge it, you have to take it off. Besides this, a smartwatch is a great substitute for a teenager without a phone.
Some good examples of smartwatches that can be used without a phone are listed below:
1. Huawei Band 6
This Band 6 by Huawei has an AMOLED touchscreen display that supports slide and touch gestures. It has a compact design and is very light which makes it easy to wear around for a longer duration. The Huawei Band 6 watch cases are available in dark grey and gold colours and it has graphite black, forest green, amber sunrise and sakura pink silicone straps.
Features of the Huawei Band 6
- It is water-resistant for up to 50 metres
- Fitness tracker, health monitoring and sleep tracking
- Two weeks battery life which could vary depending on usage.
- No built-in GPS
- All-day SpO2 monitoring
- Choose from up to 96 different exercise modes so as to chart your fitness journey and set goals that motivate you.
The Huawei Band 6 is a great fitness tracker for teenagers without a phone because of its cool fitness and health features.
2. Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker
With a monochrome PMOLED display, the Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker which was released in 2021 is specifically designed for children. It has cosmic blue and also green colours. With its motivating challenges and long-lasting battery life, it makes fitness fun for the entire family.
Features of the Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker
- The design is comfortable and secure
- It is water-resistant for up to 50 metres
- The battery of the Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker can last up to 8 days
- It has the Fitbit App Parent View which enables parents to keep track of their child’s activities and determine which features to enable or disable.
- It is touchscreen
- As the name implies, the Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracking has an All-Day Activity Tracking and even sends reminders to move.
The Fitbit Ace 3 Activity Tracker is a simple fitness tracker and although the battery life varies depending on usage, 8 days of battery is an impressive feat.
3. Garmin Vivofit jr. 3
Beyond being just a Smartwatch, the Garmin Vivofit jr.3 provides educational adventures and games to make learning exciting for children. Generally, it has distinct and engaging features for children and even older kids.
Features of Garmin Vivofit jr. 3
- The Garmin Vivofit jr.3 brags of a one-year battery life
- Extremely easy to navigate with a button by the screen but it does not have a touchscreen
- This Smartwatch makes exercise fun for kids with the addition of gamelike features which encourages participation
- It also has gadgets that enable parents to view their child’s activities and track their sleep. In fact, parents can assign chores to their kids and set rewards to encourage them to accomplish these tasks.
The Garmin Vivofit jr.3 is mostly used by children because of its designs and Marvel/Disney graphics which kids find fascinating. Its exceptional feature is its battery life which is estimated to last for a year.
4. Apple Watch SE
Released in 2020, the Apple Watch SE has curved edges, an aluminium chassis, a Digital Crown on the side that aids navigation and a Retina LTPO OLED Display which ensures lower consumption of power and improved image quality.
This Smartwatch comes in two models which are LTE + GPS and GPS only. The Apple Watch SE models are available in gold aluminium, silver and space grey.
Features of Apple Watch SE
- It is water-resistant to the depth of 50 metres
- It can be used with the Family Setup because it supports LTE. This Setup allows multiple Apple Watches to be paired and managed by one iPhone so a teenager without a phone can use the Smartwatch under keen supervision.
- It tracks the number of steps taken
- Apple Watch SE checks the heart rate
- Sleep tracking
- Make emergency calls with SOS
- Allows you to receive calls over Wi-Fi in the absence of a cellular network
- Use Siri to get directions
- Send messages containing not just text but also audio and emojis and stickers.
- Has a battery life of 18 hours depending on how it’s been used.
Overall, the Apple Watch SE features make it a good Smartwatch for teenagers without a phone to own.
Standalone Smartwatches that can be used without phones are recommended for parents who do not want their teenagers having unlimited access to phones, or they just want to try out the possibilities that standalone smartwatches offer.
Some of these smartwatches have attributes that are similar to phones and more importantly, all activities on the Smartwatches can be monitored by parents which will help make them feel more secure.