Laptop skins are thin, light and stylish wallpaper-like wrappers used to personalise and customise your laptops to your preferred taste. These skins usually cover a major part of your laptop’s exterior.
Aside from beautifying your laptop, these skins prevent laptops from scratches, damage, debris, and water spillage, which keeps your laptop body looking new since it is not exposed.
It is important to note that laptop skins are quite different from laptop cases because while skins are designed primarily to be decorative and appealing, laptop cases are majorly built for protection and might not necessarily have a pleasing aesthetic.
What laptop skins are made of
These skins are made of different materials such as vinyl, cloth-like materials, rubber and hard plastic. Although hard plastic covers are not as decorative as the other materials, they provide laptops with a higher level of protection as opposed to vinyl and cloth-like materials, which are particularly designed to be non-intrusive and attractive.
Laptop skins come in a variety of designs, shapes, textures, colours, patterns and styles, often artistic. These skins can be interchanged and replaced when necessary. The thickness of a laptop skin material varies greatly because some materials are thicker than others.
Furthermore, laptop skins made with vinyl and cloth-like materials are lightweight because they do not in any way add to the weight of your laptop.
They are also durable because they do not peel off easily. Laptop skins also provide free airflow in and out of your computer, and as such, laptop skins do not cause overheating. However, laptop covers can restrict airflow because they have a firmer fit on the laptop.
Some of the factors to consider before getting a laptop skin include:
- Size: There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to buying a laptop skin, so it is important that you choose a laptop skin that will perfectly fit your laptop’s dimensions. While some skins can be stretched, skins made with hard plastic covers can not, and as such, an accurate measurement is necessary to ensure adequate fit.
- Protective lip: A laptop skin with a protective lip will provide your laptop with extra protection from scratches, dust and moisture
- Check for reviews: If you plan on buying your laptop skin online, ensure that you check for other customers’ experiences on whichever skin you choose to buy, as this will aid your decision as to whether to buy or not. However, if it is an offline purchase, you can read reviews on Amazon before you choose the one that suits your style. Durability is an important factor to look out for before purchasing a laptop skin.
- Choose your style: There is a laptop skin to fit every style, so be it a simple or complex design, there is a suitable laptop skin for you. Even sports and animation lovers can find laptop skins of their favourite sports clubs or animations. The basic idea is for laptop skins to be personalised and customised to fit the user’s style.
- Easy to remove: While laptop skins that stretch can be removed easily, some skins do not come off as easy. Getting a laptop skin that can be removed effortlessly is advised.
While allowing users to customise their laptops to their preferred style, these laptop skins also protect your laptop from forms of harm like scratches and dust that will otherwise cause damage to your laptop.
There is also a variety of laptop skin materials to choose from depending on your preferred choice